Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Torture and Theater!

I don't know why I say what I'll be doing the next day the night before. It never turns out to be true.

This morning, I checked out Wikipedia's list of museums in London and turns out there are a lot more than I had been expecting. Some were the famous ones like The British Museum and the National Portrait Gallery but some were oddly specific like the museum of British Sewing Machines. I haven't even been to the American sewing machine museum yet, it didn't seem appropriate to go to the London one first.

I decided on the Clink Street Museum: One the site of "London's oldest and most gruesome jail from 1150 until the late 19th century." Yes, this was definitely better than some stupid portraits.
Once I got to the museum ('following signs that said 'Prisoners this way if you dare!'), I had been following a large crowd of people but then I saw that none of them were heading down the dark stairs leading to the entrance. Seriously, this entrance is majorly sketchy, and I'm pretty sure the walls were screaming.

I bought my ticket and pushed through a heavy wooden door, a little bit wishing I had brought someone with me because yes, the walls had speakers in them emitting screams. The dark corridors were empty, oh except wax figures chained to the walls. Those were a nice touch.
I had resigned my fate that I would probably be killed by a wax figure in this haunted medieval prison, probably with one of the hundreds of torture devices open for anyone to use, when a little family walked in. So I pretty much followed them around for the rest of the museum.

All around the museum there are these horrible bloody depictions of what sort of torture went on during the centuries this prison was active and underneath the posters they had things that said "Fun thing to do! Try to imagine how hungry you'd have to be before you'd eat a rat!" or "Fun thing to do! Put your head on this chopping block and have someone take a picture!"
It was a good try for the museum to try to engage children but then again...why are you bringing your child to a dungeon full of devices that make Saw seem like a Disney movie? (And to answer their question, I would probably not have to be that hungry before I'd eat a rat. I eat roughly 7 times a day, prison or no prison)

Tonight was our first play for our London stage class. This one was called "The Faith Machine" and it's only been out since August so don't pretend like you've seen it. I don't have anything funny to say about this play. It was magnificent. It spans a 10 year relationship, each act going back and forth in years, following a passionate idealistic yet naive Londoner woman and a American ("I'm not just an American, I'm a New Yorker") who although once had the same motivations as the girl, sells his soul a little to become a name in the advertising business. It also involves her ex-Bishop father, their flamboyant college friend and a former prostitute Russian housekeeper. It was powerful without being preachy. Every character was unique yet you could see something of yourself in everyone. If it ever comes to the states I would really recommend it.

Now it's time to turn in, I've done so much walking this week. You'd think I'd start losing weight but I reward myself with ice cream every day for getting so much exercise. I think I'm just breaking even.

Until tomorrow my lovelies.

1 comment:

  1. You should probably try not to get killed by wax figures unless you want to be the most laughed at headline in all of the UK. And probably the rest of the world too.

    Ella Bee

    ReplyDelete