Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Great Mouse Detective

Apparently, waking up at an ungodly hour on a Sunday to drink at a novelty bar 20 min away isn't that appealing once you think about it. So I didn't go to 'Church' today. After spending all night being terrified of the washing machine (it SHAKES the entire apartment like it's trying to break loose and sounds like someone put firecrackers in a garbage can), I decided to stay in for the morning.

I did however, enjoy a 'flatmate brunch' (at 2pm) at an authentic pub a few blocks away. While paying I talked to the manager John about things to do in the neighborhood. His answer was 'Well this pub is the best pub around." So, maybe not the best tour guide but he is doing a good job of public relations for his bar. However, there weren't many patrons, just a few blokes in the back, one wearing a giant T shirt featuring Lindsay Lohan's mug shot.

Afterwards, we met up with another member of our program to see the Sherlock Holmes museum seeing as it was right next door to us. The whole house is VERY extensive. Everything is authentic from the Victorian Era, the pipes on the table, the furniture, the newspapers, all three floors of the house is fully furnished. What shocked me the most was the fact that everything was touchable. There were no signs saying 'Please do not sit on this VERY expensive chair" or "Please don't knock over this antique candlesticks carrying REAL flames". I couldn't imagine any museum in America being that trusting. I could've set the entire thing on fire loads of times. But I didn't, Cuz I'm a lady.

On the 3rd floor there are these wax figures from different stories in the Sherlock Holmes collection. I didn't recognize much seeing as that the most experience I have with him is the versions with RDJ and the Disney version where he's portrayed as a mouse. Among the wax figures there was a real white-haired man in 19th centure garb, reading a book. Watson, I presumed (yes, I know. Very good detective skills). I asked him if his entire job is sitting in this chair all day pretending to be Watson and he said:
"Yes, it's very nice. I sit by the window and read (holding up a book that was not in fact written by Sir Arthur Connan Doyle) and then later, I'll meet up with friends, get some pizza and maybe watch a film."

"Ah...so exactly like the real Watson did then"

The gift shop was exciting. They had pipes, and BAKER STREET signs and all the books, etc. One of the old school Westminster signs for sale said: PLEASE ADJUST YOUR DRESS BEFORE LEAVING. I really have no idea what this is in reference too but I kind of desperately want it.

After the museum, we crossed over to Regents Park which is picturesque. It's just amazing. Miles of flowers, and lakes and little ice cream shopes (selling flavors such as "blackcurrant" and "hokey pokey") We meandered and marveled at the hidden waterfalls, the little boys playing football, the cranes under the giant willow trees. I've never been one for nature but this park is actually breath-taking.

Plus the ice cream is really good. Maybe we'll go see it when you come visit me.
(P.s. did you know that you don't need an account to comment?? Any suggestions of where I should go?)

4 comments:

  1. Have you visited the Zoo in Regent's Park? I've met the gorillas there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't been to Platform 9 and 3/4 yet you've failed at life.

    Ella Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's a ww2 museum in churchill's old underground bunker. Worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only RDJ and The Great Mouse Detective (your fave movie)? What about Wishbone!

    ReplyDelete