Monday, September 19, 2011

Internships are Not Work Placements

Hi Lads and Lassies of Cyberworld,

Today, myself and the kids doing internships (or "work placement" as it's called in the UK. They stressed to NOT say internships but didn't explain what the difference was. Now I'm worried the word internship is offensive or like, something hookers do) hopped on a train for our first meeting about where we'll be working, dress codes, questions etc.

Orientation was given by this extreeeeeemly overly caffeinated blonde woman who helpfully explained that offices in the UK were similar to The Office UK. I tried to watch that once but could not understand a word because of the accents. So that doesn't inspire much hope. She mentioned the importance of drinking tea at work as well as going out to the pubs with your colleagues after work. This is cool since I've never gotten a drink with someone I worked for. Although I doubt going the bar with the rabbi of the Judaica store I worked at would've gone so well...especially since I got fired 3 years ago...

I'll be working at an organization to promote tolerance between faiths, including writing for it's Interfaith magazine. All I have to do is not act crazy at the interview and the job is mine. She said the first few tasks will be easy to test our skills: "Don't be discouraged if your first tasks are things like filing or doing some stapling, they'll just be trying to see if your a good worker."
Now, I don't want to brag but I'm a pretty impressive intern, and if they can look at my resume and see that I've worked for the NY Law Department but can't work a stapler than they might be too picky in who they're looking for here.

For my first class today...it finally happened. I got hopelessly lost since they give the vaguest instructions in this program ("You're class in basically next to the library." Good thing there aren't SIX DIFFERENT LIBRARIES in a 3 block radius). I asked someone for directions but got distracted since he sounded like the vulture from the Jungle Book. Eventually, after calling the program director, I found my way. Only 15 min late!

After class, I came home to an empty apartment and assumed my roommates were still at classes or out doing whatever roommates do. So obviously I commenced my favorite after-school hobby of playing the same song over and over (today's was Mike Tompkin's rendition of Misery) and attempting to make dinner (most of my meals are improvisations of what I like to call "Last Ditch Attempt at Nutrients After A Twix Bar for Lunch")
I had been downstairs for an hour or two when my roommate comes in and says "Hey, you've been playing this song for an hour."
"Oh..uh you've been here? You heard me?"
"Yeah, we also heard when you dropped all the spices, yelled NO! and then said 'it's ok...they're ok...'"
Awesome.

Since my Met classes don't start until next week, tomorrow is an open day. I was thinking about checking out Center for Jewish Life, or maybe the Hillel on Euston. Everyone seems to be convinced my future husband is in England. I might as well make finding me easier. (Also making it easier for everyone to find me, seeing as that I have way more hits on this site than I had been expecting, especially from countries I don't know anyone in...but that's probably the Criminal Minds talking...)

5 comments:

  1. The internships thing is probably just them being stuffy brits. You gotta say it their way or they'll look at you funny and turn their noses up at you.

    Please come back with a british accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing I'm alone in the office when I read these posts because I can't stop laughing. Even though I already read the story about your roommates on facebook (and shared it with all my friends)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 words. tea time. it should always be tea time. stiff upper lip tho vivs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew your roommate would come to love you.

    Ella Bee

    PS--I definitely just laughed in lecture. No big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the depiction of you cooking :D "we also heard..." :P:P

    LOL

    keep up being awesome kiddo!

    ReplyDelete