Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sticky Toffee Pudding Day

Another adorable Shabbat with another adorable British couple.
Some new developments from this weekend:

I tried Sticky Toffee Pudding (Interestingly, NOT pudding but a soft cake)

I used the word 'dodgey' 'proper' and 'uni' in regular conversation

Today the lovely couple I stayed with had friends over for lunch, they were all 20-something Jewish Londoners and it was like watching an episode of Friends UK. One boy at lunch looked WEIRDLY exactly like a boy at Maryland (don't ask me who). Same face, same eye color, same beard, they even have the same name. Except the British version was a lot nice than the boy I know. I kept looking at him and then being a little shocked when he spoke with an accent (another good friend-making tip: Stare at someone creepily and then be surprised when they speak to you).

This boy kept asking me questions about what Americans do in university since our drinking age is so high.

Boy: No wonder you Americans love TV so much! You can't drink! What is there to do at Uni?!
Me: Uh, well usually someone will have a fake, or you'll just be friends with older kids who have parties, but there's plenty of alcohol.
Boy: But what about Uni student pubs?
Me: Well we don't have "pubs" really in Maryland, we have dirty clubs that people sometimes get stabbed in.

(When I told him I was in University of Maryland he goes "Wait, I think I've been there...is that the school that's covered in Turtles?")

My friend told me how she met these Brits who thought the giant red Solo cups were a Hollywood myth. That they don't really sell them in America, they were just invented for movies like American Pie. She told them that yes they really do exist and they asked her if she had any on her to show them.

Tonight I got home and decided to go for a run since I had been eating gummy alligators and toffee pudding all day. I found 20 dollars in my running shoes which made me feel like the Exercise Fairy had prematurely rewarded me for moving.

I jogged (or yogged...as some say) down Marylebone Road for about an hour. It's very crowded and everyone is fancy, some were even coming from a 20's themed party wearing fringe dresses and long pearl strands. I felt dumb in my leggings and sweaty T-shirt standing next to them waiting for the light to change. But the joke's on them when I'm all skinny and they're all well...far away in their own lives because they don't know or care about me.

This week school starts, so I have tomorrow to do all my required reading for my classes.

Just kidding, why would I think I would be different in London than I am in school at home?



1 comment:

  1. i think there IS a british version of friends it's called coupling

    ReplyDelete