Thursday, November 24, 2011

Crazy Stupid Farm

Hello guys and gals in cyberland

Not much happened yesterday. Went food shopping because the one and only Shira Woolf is visiting and the only thing I had in my cabinets was some spanish rice and gummy bears. Part of a wholesome breakfast. I dragged my suitcase to Kosher Kingdom to fill up. As I was paying, a Israeli cashier beckoned me over and asked me where I was taking my suitcase full of food (on vacation?) and I explained that I lived out on Baker St so I have to shop in Golders Green. She asked me if I was doing OK with Shabbat and Kosher when I explained that I was studying here ("What classes are you taking?" "Theater" "That seems like a waste of time") and invited me to spend Shabbat at her house if I ever get "sick home", which is really nice and REALLY Israeli.

After a depressing Irish play last night I came home and spent time with my sistah. It's nice that we get to spend Thanksgiving together since we barely ever the chance to.
Today I woke up early to get to class on time but it turns out it didn't matter because class was apparently cancelled (just like YESTERDAY's class was cancelled and no one told me). It's OK because I hadn't done the assignments for either class but I did show up when no one else did so that's points right? And not really no one else showed up today, Africa boy was there as confused as me so we walked out together. He tried to apologize to me AGAIN for not caring about 9/11. "Well, not NOT caring...but my family was really poor and I was working for free at a cafe and my boss tried to show me and I was too tired to watch". Seriously?? How can he be apologizing?? It really made me feel awful.

But working at the farm today made me feel better. It was an actual farm this time. And I got there because of cancelled class which New Boss was happy about since he was desperate for volunteers since this minister was coming. My job basically was to be paparazzi for this guy. Me and 2 other photographers, the one from his office and the one from the Interfaith department. He pushed one wheelbarrow of dirt from one end to the other and that was it. I was taking a picture of him and my boss before he left and introduced myself (I didn't say anything else I swear!) when he said he "must return to the unreal world, I don't think I'm dressed for more farming ha ha", well why did you wear a suit if you knew you were coming to a FARM?
I know, I know, publicity stunts and all that but come on, don't pretend like you're really helping us for some good pictures man.
I on the other hand had a GREAT time pretending to work while taking pictures of other people. It was about 11 volunteers this time...mostly unemployed younger people but hey, good for them to do this with their free time. Unfortunately Interact didn't feel like buying Kosher food for this event since "I don't think there are any Jews here" according to NB. Good thing I brought my own stuff then. I actually did have an interesting conversation with a guy about faith. He told me he was looking into becoming religious, any religion and he's been doing a lot of research into Abrahamic faiths. He was really into the stuff about Jesus and the Messiah and the second coming and what Muslims believe. I explained that Judaism isn't really about the Messianic age but more so about the past and present. He still wanted to talk about the Messiah so I'm pretty sure he just wants to make sure he's on the right side when Jesus/Mashiach/etc really does come.

I made Jackson come volunteer with me today 1. I know he wasn't doing anything productive 2. I wanted my boss to see that I found volunteers. Obviously I didn't expect Jackson to get told to stop chasing the ducks because they were getting traumatized or for him to tell my boss that I "had a boner for Harry Potter". Ah, what can you do with wild-card friends?
But seriously, this was one of the best days so far. Just to finally feel comfortable with new friends and my coworkers and meeting new people (not so comfortable with the scary ass ducks who were following me around though or the cow that licked my shirt).

After some "farming" I went out to dinner with Shira and Danielle at a really fancyface place. I've never had Thanksgiving in not-home place before. Actually that's not true I had it in when I was in Israel at some hotel in Tzfat (was it Tzfat Gaby? Or the Kineret?) I only remember teasing the only British girl that she had to celebrate with us, not realizing how Thanksgiving had very little to do with American/Britain relations. What else is new?

As per usual traditions, we saw a movie tonight (although not in theaters, tradition rules might still allow it...) We watched Crazy Stupid Love and now I'm going to have sweet Ryan Gosling-y dreams.

Happy Thanksgiving my lovelies. (As well to you, people in Latvia and Germany)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't attend Seminary Thanksgiving. We had the Kinar Shabbaton but my daddy was in town so I ditched you all.

    Hurray!

    Let's go back.

    ReplyDelete