Monday, November 14, 2011

2b or not 2b

Yesterday I went to a Puppy Festival. And I'm pretty sure that means my life will be going downhill from now on since not much else can compare to that.

My friend mentioned today that we only have 4 weeks left in London. I can't believe I have 30 days left here. It feels like I've done nothing, I could spend so much time here. But I know it's not because I love London more than NY but because I am totally free living in the middle of an exciting city with a fake job and easy classes. I know that if I stay in semester abroad-mode here and not go back to Maryland, I'll just have to get a real job and take real classes and try to date these uch, British boys. I guess it's almost time to head back to the real world.

But not today. Today was a tour of the Shakespeare Globe Theater with my theater class which was great since I missed the play we saw there due to Rosh Hashana. It was really cool, even though I already knew what it looked like thanks to Mary Kate and Ashley's Winning London. But they didn't let me play on the stage. Also in that movie, they have a scene where they're playing in this store called Cyber Dog in Camden and in reality that's partially a sex shop. It's not a very realistic movie (well except for the scene where the Buckingham Palace guard risks his career to help a stupid teenager obviously).

I learned that the term 'Box Office' comes from the fact that people used to drop their fare into boxes at the entrance of the theater and the more pennies they got, the more successful the play. We got to sit in the 'posh boxes' as well, where royalty and gentlemen sat. I also remember learning that in the old days the third tier of seats was where prostitutes entertained clients but that was in an American theater class so I'm not sure if it still applied.

It was a super dreary day. Getting dark at 4 and being all gray and foggy. So, basically London weather finally. Still haven't gotten a chance to wear my super expensive rain boots yet.
After the Globe we had another tour of the National Theater which wasn't as exciting. We got to see the sets (which we had seen when we went to see the plays) and go backstage (not as exciting when you work at Maryland's theater school and you work backstage all the time.)

But we did get 15% off at the gift shop so I bought a book from The Guardian called 'How to Write' covering topics such as fiction, children's books, journalism, comedy and scripts. I'm hoping it'll come in handy. They didn't have a section on improving your Facebook page though which was disappointing. It's basically my main form of writing these days and I'm addicted to the attention. Although when people tell me I'm good at Facebook it makes me feel like I'm bad at real life but hey, you can't win them all. Although I think if anyone ever tells me I'm bad at real life I can be like I've been to a Puppy Festival, your argument is invalid.

Tonight I stayed in and baked caramel cookies with my roommate. I only burned 4 of them and the rest were delicious. It almost makes up for the fact that I have my fake job tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment