Thursday, December 8, 2011

Last Thursday...

Hello faithful blog readers (I'm looking at you Russia)

I hope everyone had an amazing 24 hours.

Last night was our VERY LAST PLAY. One Man Two Guvnors which was hella good. Seriously, even though it had quite a lot of physical comedy (welcome to England) there was hilarious audience participation and improv worked into the play which made it all the more delicious. Everyone had decided to dress up for our VERY LAST PLAY (my theater class, not everyone in the theater) so boys in suits and girls in dresses (and pearls if your name is Aviva, a lace hat if your name is Ruth). After the show we went out to a nice pub nearby where we drank wine (or pear cider) and just basically sat around being classy. A long way from the play when I put my feet on the seats and got yelled at.
Your little girl is a lady now!

Anyways, this morning I woke up and decided class was not for me today after indulging in too much classiness last night. So I snoozed a bit longer. But not for too long since I did have work.
I came into work at 1pm and for some reason said a big "GOOD MORNING!" to everyone
New Boss: It's afternoon. Maybe morning for you. You probably woke up at 11am.
Other Intern: Wow that's really judgmental
Me: No, he's right. I skipped class today.

Oh New Boss you know me so well.

Did not have much to do today. Just looked up some universities who'd want our magazine. My boss offered that we should just send it to them without asking, I asked what would happen to them and he said the universities would look at it and be like ''eh, these are OK'. He clearly has a lot of dedication to this project.

Tonight however, was my last Thursday (I hope you're not going to get sick of me going through my LAST EVER phase of the trip). Instead of going to more clubs, I picked a more low-key route. So my friend and I went to a kosher Indian restaurant in Golder's Green which was SO nice because I've had pasta for the past 6 meals.
Afterwards we went to see the movie 50/50 because I am in love with Seth Rogen and JGL. It did not disappoint. Had some heart and not too crude for a Seth Rogen film. I actually teared up a little when he died.

(JUST KIDDING! I'm not going to give the movie away!)

Anyways, after the movie we went to Ish bar for LAST KARE- ok...I'll stop. Jackson and his friend and another UMD boy came.

But this is important.

The very first Thursday here we went to Karaoke (as you remember OBVIOUSLY). I remember having a good time, sitting in the back with another guy watching people sing. "go on up and sing!" he told me, "No, way I am soooo not drunk enough."
I had never done karaoke alone before. And I wasn't going to start in front of people I had *just* met. No, I'm OK watching people. There was NO way I was going up there. EVER.

Tonight however, we were sitting around and I just got a slip of paper, wrote down "Aviva - Come Fly With Me" (It was 'crooner karaoke night') and handed it in. I was going to sing alone for the first time.
Why?
Because I wasn't afraid anymore. Even if I was awful, I didn't know any of these people, half of them are drunk anyways. And my friends would be cheering me on (which they were). But even if they weren't, I knew I could do it because I've done so much this semester that I never thought I could do. Because I'm not afraid of what people think of me as long as I'm doing what makes me happy.
I always think of a quote by Lady Gaga where she says "I don't care about what people think of me, I care about what they think of themselves." Because if we all stopped worrying about what other people were thinking about US, we'd be able to care more about how other people are doing.

So I sang, and it wasn't perfect. It was probably not very good but it doesn't matter because it was fun. And no weirdos kissed my head this time.

But a man DID come up behind me and audibly sniff my head. Why?

I'm beginning to think ISH is just full of strange people.

Until next time my little lion cubs, go out there and be fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment