Monday, December 12, 2011

Brushes With Death

Okay, so this isn't my fault. I had a whole long post yesterday but my laptop decided to just shut down my internet for a hot sec therefore deleting everything and then I was too wrapped up in this essay I was writing to fix it.

And by "essay" I mean Seinfeld episodes.

I was talking about my LAST SHABBAT EVER which I spent at Chabad (which switched locations to Baker Street which was nice of them.) It was v. cool because I had recognized a few people from Sukkot so I said hi (except the French people who did not say hi after I awkwardly waved to them. Whatever, forget the French.)

During dinner this boy comes up to me and he goes "Um, did you go to Flatbush?" and I said I did and apparently we were in the same grade and never met. He was like "I'm surprised, I thought I knew everyone in our grade."
I had no such notions, I met our class president when I was in Israel after we graduated. I wasn't friends with a lot of the Syrians in Flatbush and to be honest I didn't really know the difference between them, plus it didn't help that they all had the same name. So it's not really my fault. I just love meeting people here that I could've met a hundred times in NY.

So Saturday night I was invited to a Christmas (holiday...?) party hosted by my roommate's friend. A lot of my friends went. I had written about it all in the post that had gotten deleted, and I was thinking about whether I should write it again since it's not very pretty. But then I thought that as an honest blogger, I can't just write about my cute little trips to museums but stuff that's not so cute too. Like getting kicked out of holiday parties. And while I won't include everything that went down, here's just some highlights.

How to Get Removed From a British Christmas Party:
1. Start by drinking copious amounts of alcohol (but also make sure you sleep through lunch so you have nothing but Twix bars in your system.)
2. Force the DJ to play some Maccabeats music despite the fact that no one knows who they are.
3. Explain to everyone who the Maccabeats are. Also explain the story of Hannukah. And Passover. Make sure to include some cameos by Martin Luthor King.
4. Fall down the stairs.
5. Throw a pumpkin out the window.
6. Climb on the roof. Almost fall off the roof. Be grateful for all eternity that your friends saved you from falling to your death.

I'm not saying these things are cool, I'm just saying they happened (and you can see it, I think my Hannukah History Lesson is videoed on someone's iPhone.) Oh, and also make sure to call the host "gay for having a poster in his room of two tigers fighting. But I won't apologize for that and would probably have said it regardless.

Anyways, Sunday I woke up to hear a recount of the party after I asked my roommate if I made much noise coming in last night to which she answered "I only woke up because you made so much noise falling down the stairs."
So I spent most of Sunday nursing various bruises and cuts. While trying to write a 10 page paper which I can certainly say is probably not my finest work. It's OK since this theater teacher hasn't liked me since I spelled his name wrong on the last essay. My bad.

Today was our last theater class which was tragic. One, because I'm going to miss it so hard. And two because he made us go see Deep Blue Sea for class but we never got to discuss it so I'll tell everyone HERE what I thought of DBS.

Deep Blue Sea was a hideous movie and I hated it. I hated all the dumb violin music when NOTHING was happening except pictures of trees being shown. My only wish for this movie was that everyone kills themselves and that doesn't happen. I don't care that British people LOVED it or that all the elderly ladies in my theater there BY THEMSELVES cried at it. I don't like that they judged me for eating popcorn too loudly when I wasn't eating loudly it was just that there was no sound in the movie, just meaningful glances.
I want those 2 hours of my life back. The end.

Two more days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment